Wednesday, October 19, 2011

New Food Wednesday: Oct. 19, 2011

Ok...first let me stress that the subject of today's post is probably one of the most unusual dishes I have encountered on the Internet, which in itself is a feat.  I will also say that the images of today's dish may be disturbing or off putting for some.  To protect the casual user in search of my (easy) Irish Car Bomb Cake from the culinary equivalent of schadenfreude I have buried them after the jump. 


With the general disclaimer out of the way, I will say that I have never sampled this dish.  However, given it's general popularity in certain parts of the world it must be somewhat tasty, and if not it better at least be pretty damn interesting.  I encourage everyone to keep an open mind when thinking about various foods, especially this one.


Find out what it is after the jump!


Balut (fertilized and boiled duck or chicken egg)


Today's "new food" is the popular Southeast Asian dish called Balut (essentially a fertilized duck or chicken egg which is boiled and eaten directly out of the shell). 


I know this idea probably sounds very unappetizing to many Westerners... Just remember the following mantra the next time your in the Philippines and someone offers one of these delicacies.


We eat chicken.
We eat eggs.
Where do you think the chicken comes from?


For the full Wikipedia article on this subject please click the following link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(egg)


Eat good food.  Drink good beer.  And above all, stay classy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!