Friday, August 26, 2011

New Recipes: Coconut Jasmine Rice

Forgive me father for I have sinned…

Last Saturday for the Nook beer dinner, I committed the ultimate food party/ meal planning faux pas imaginable: I served my guests and patrons something that I had never tasted, yet alone prepared. 

I have had this hand scribbled recipe for years and the only use I ever had for it was a book mark in whatever cook book I was reading.  And every time I reach for “Mastering the Art of French Cooking,” or “Back to Basics” it falls out and derisively taunts me as I bend over to pick it up.  So this past Saturday, I finally decided to banish my inexplicable fears of this dish and take a considerable risk. 

I couldn’t have been more surprised.  I admit the rice was slightly drier than I typically enjoy it, but the flavors more than compensated for any loss of moisture.  And if you find it’s too dry for your preferences, don’t worry just add some more butter right before serving! 

*a note on garnishes:  all too often our garnishes simply make our plates look pretty and appealing, but add little to the final flavor of the dish.  This is not the case here!  Make sure to include the toasted coconut for textural contrast and the cilantro for a nice balance of flavor.

Eat good food.  Drink good beer.  And above all, stay classy!

Coconut Jasmine Rice (from the Nook Tavern)

Coconut Jasmine Rice
By: Samuel Parks (August 2011)
adapted from an unknown source

INGREDIENTS

-1 tbs. vegetable oil (use only with the stove top version)
-2 cups long grain rice (I used scented Jasmine rice for this preparation)
-2 cups coconut milk
-1 cup water
-1/2 tbs. Kosher salt
-1/4 lb. sweetened, flaked coconut
-1/2 lb. toasted flaked coconut (garnish)
-chopped fresh cilantro (garnish)

DIRECTIONS (rice cooker)

1.      In a standard rice cooker, combine the rice, coconut milk, water, salt, sweetened coconut (NOT the toasted coconut).
2.      Cook according the manufacturer’s directions.
3.      Fluff with fork before serving.
4.      Top with toasted coconut and fresh cilantro immediately before serving.
5.      Enjoy!

DIRECTIONS (Stove Top)

1.      In a standard 2 qt. sauce pan with a tightly fitting lid, pour in the oil and rub evenly over the entire inside of the pan.
2.      Combine the rice, coconut milk, water, salt, sweetened coconut (NOT the toasted coconut).
3.      Heat over medium-high heat, until gently simmering.  Cover and reduce heat to low.  Continue to cook for 15-20 minutes.
4.      Fluff with fork before serving.
5.      Top with toasted coconut and fresh cilantro immediately before serving.
6.      Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!