(Easy Mexican Milk Cake)
By: Sam Parks (July 2011)
This easy American twist on a Latin classic, combines the richness of ice cream in the body of a cake! Topping this dessert with fresh berries or fruit takes the flavor to another level and will instantly transport you to the shores of Mexico. OLE!
|(shaped version of the Mexican Milk Cake, topped with toasted meringue and coconut)|
1 Box Yellow Cake Mix (replace the oil with melted butter, replace the water with low-fat buttermilk, and add an extra egg)
2 tablespoons of rum
1 ½ teaspoon coconut extract
1 (12 oz. can) evaporated milk
1 (14 oz. can) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup half-and-half
2 cups heavy whipping cream
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon. vanilla
*can be topped with fresh berries (e.g. strawberries), toasted coconut, or certain dessert sauces (e.g. blueberry)
1) Prepare cake according to box directions in a 9 x 13 in. pan/ baking dish (adding extra egg, rum, and coconut extract to the batter prior to baking)
2) Let cake cool completely
3) Using a fork, punch surface of cake with tines until it is well aerated.
4) Combine evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and half and half
5) Pour milk mixture over cake and refrigerate for a minimum of 48 hours prior to serving
Preparation (Whipped Topping)
1) Combine heavy whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla
2) Mix until soft peaks forms
3) Spread evenly onto the surface of the cake.
*Topped with fresh strawberries and a blue berry dessert sauce this Latin dish is sure to please!
|(Classic verstion of the Tres Leches Cake topped with blue berries and strawberries and served right out the pan)|
|(Tres Leches Cake served with simple blue berry sauce-Thanks to my trusted assistant Sue for her expert drizzle skills!)|
Eat good food. Drink good beer. And above all, stay classy!